President’s Report 2015
As our tag-line reads, the Saskatoon Cycling Club has been Ridin’ & Ramblin’ since 1971. And we continued that tradition in 2015 by building on a base of successful programs and adding some new events for our members. We had 40 members in 2015 which is about average for the past decade.
A summary of the activities that we held in 2015 is below:
Spring Pizza Social
- Sunday, May 24th at the Venice House on Central
Everyday cycling – Helping occasional cyclists become everyday cyclists
- Every Wednesday evening in May and June departing from Market Square.
- This event was generally well attended – usually about 8 riders.
- Routes varied depending on the ability of the riders in attendance and usually had a duration of one hour.
Get Ready for GASP
Three rides were held to help build endurance for those riders who would be participating in GASP or other bike touring.
- Sunday, May 31st — 30K – Beaver Creek
- Sunday, June 7th — 40K – Patience Lake
- Sunday, June 14th — 70K – Asquith Perdue
Well attended – 8 to 10 riders each.
A new event was created and held on July 8th as a part of Velopalooza Week in Saskatoon. A scavenger hunt involved 12 riders searching for urban art in downtown Saskatoon. This was followed by a social & meal at Congress Beer House.
- This ride was cancelled due to smoke from forest fires.
Around Lake Diefenbaker
This event has taken place in August in past years but was moved to September 11, 12, 13 this year. There were eight riders that completed the circuit around the lake with a ferry crossing at Riverhurst.